Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mixtape

Hey you! I'm making you a mixtape. Yeah you. Don't look around. You.

Side A

1. The Beatles -- "Golden Slumbers" Damn you Beatles and your melodies. I've had Abbey Road for quite a while, and this song just now really struck me. Strange how that happens. Go piss up a rope, "Carry That Weight." J/K you're okay, but "Golden Slumbers" will get along just fine without you.

2. The Flaming Lips -- "A Spoonful Weights a Ton" Don't forget about these guys. I had a bunch of their discs sitting on my shelf waiting to be added to the itunes rotation. Check out the reverb-icality guitar strums on the chorus. Hot damn.

3. Holopaw -- "Abraham Lincoln" John Orth writes some evocative words. Holopaw combines electronic elements and traditional instrumentation to create a delightfully nuanced song. Check it.

4. The Mercury Program -- "Sultans of El Sur" Wow... drums. Delay pedals are fun. I can deal with no vocals.

5. The Microphones -- "II. Solar System" Great subtle percussion and spare guitar here. "What stream used to flow here and now what dusty decay. Let the flash flood begin. Wash me down the canyon. Quicksand pull me in. Blow over me solar wind." This is a beautifully haunting song.

6. Red House Painters -- "Have You Forgotten" This is the first RHP song I ever heard. I was so surprised to hear the F word sung in such a beautiful manner.

end Side A

Sort of an odd assortment of groups, but I can deal with that. I'll post Side B soon.

No comments: